If you’re looking for a little variety in your comedy, head on over to Old City tonight to the Painted Bride around 10PM.
The show features improv from MEDIC!! (JP Boudwin, Sarah Cowdery, Luke Field, Nick Gillette and Milkshake), standup from DOOGIE HORNER, and music from EMILY & MICAH MCGRAW.
COMEDY VARIETY SHOW
THURSDAY, DEC 16TH @ 10PM
PAINTED BRIDE ARTS CENTER | 230 VINE ST
Looking for a solution to that stand-up fix? How about a little healthy competition? Well, tonight the PHILLY IMPROV THEATER has shows at the Shubin for whatever ails you… It all starts at 8PM, as they kick off five consecutive weeks of Aaron Hertzog’s HEY EVERYBODY!
Hertzog has quite a list of comedians on the bill tonight, including Billy Bob Thompson, Darryl Charles, Doogie Horner, John Kensil, Luke Giordano and Meg Favreau!
Tickets are $10, but if you use the password *FRIENDSHIP* at the door, you pay half. Because, hey, that’s the kind of guy Aaron is!
Then at 9:30 – new upstart JESSICA TANDY (Jessica Ross and Andy Moskowitz) look to unseat six time champs THE ONES YOUR MOMS WARNED YOU ABOUT in CAGEMATCH. Currently on an unmatched winning streak, will tonight be the night The Ones fall? Your votes decide!
Current Cagematch Champs: The Ones Your Moms Warned You About
PHILLY IMPROV THEATER @ THE SHUBIN
THURSDAY, OCT. 7TH
8PM – HEY EVERYBODY!
9:30PM – CAGEMATCH
407 BAINBRIDGE ST
We’ve been out of the loop over here through most of the Fringe and beyond. Now that we’ve sufficiently recovered, regular posts will resume next week. In the meantime, here are a few tidbits to check out…
- Many have called the last few months the Summer of Doogie, and it’s sure felt that way, with Mr. Horner joking his way into America’s hearts on America’s Got Talent. And now fresh off his win over a Helium, the newly crowned Philly’s Phunniest looks to return to the stage tonight, as he resurrects his show The Ministry of Secret Jokes. Now at its new home at the Ruba Club, joining Doogie will be fellow former Phunniest winners Anton Shuford and Steve Gerben, as well as Amir Golan and Becca Trabin. It all starts at 8PM
- The ever-delightful Jaime Fountaine returns to The Dive tonight at 7PM with her show Toiling in Obscurity. Guests include Pat Kelly, Tom McCallister and Jesse Hale Moore
For the last few weeks, rumors have abound that the close of July could bring with it the end of live entertainment at the Khyber. It’s still up in the air whether the venue will be changing hands soon, or is simply looking to make a change in bookings. According to a recent chat Philebrity had with owner Stephen Simons, at the very least, the stage will be dark for the month of August.
So with the future unclear, comedian Chip Chantry looks to make this month’s One-Man Show something to remember. For what could be the final installment at the beloved venue, they’re going entirely character-based for the theme. Everyone appearing onstage will be in disguise.
Some fantastic alter-egos and characters abound in our little world of comedy, and tonight should be something pretty damn special… while potentially bidding farewell to a venue held so dear to many comedians, we might conversely see the birth of other hilarious personas the likes of Bing Supernova or Fastball Pitcher Bob Gutierrez.
Chip has a cavalcade of comics slated to take the stage tonight, including: Johnny Goodtimes, Doogie Horner, Brendan Kennedy, Meg Favreau, John Kensil, The Feeko Brothers, Andy Nolan, Luke Giordano, Roger Weaver and more! With a lineup like that, this show already should make your must-see list. Add to that it potentially being the last installment at the place that gave birth to shows like this and Die Actor Die, and it really is the only place you should be tonight.
CHIP CHANTRY’S LAST ONE-MAN SHOW AT THE KHYBER?!?!
MONDAY, JULY 19TH @ 8:30PM
THE KHYBER | 56 S 2ND ST
$5 COVER | DRINK SPECIALS
It’s the second Tuesday, and that means JAIME FOUNTAINE is back tonight at the Dive with another installment of the reading series SECOND STORIES. This month, it’s SECOND STORIES PUTS ON A COMEDY SHOW.
Comedians performing tonight include Meg Favreau, Doogie Horner, Alejandro Morales, Becca Trabin, Alex Gross, Blaise Fountaine, Jeremy Eric Tenenbaum and more. Check it out!
SECOND STORIES PUTS ON A COMEDY SHOW
TUESDAY, JULY 13TH @ 7PM
THE DIVE | 947 E PASSYUNK
The preliminary round of Philly’s Phunniest competition resumed this past weekend at Helium after a holiday hiatus the week prior. Of the comics performing this past week, Roger Weaver, Pat House, Brendan Kennedy and Doogie Horner move on to round two. Congratulations!
Preliminaries continue this Sunday, where over a dozen comics look to snag a spot moving forward, with Sydney Gantt, Chris Cotton and Billy Bob Thompson among them.
PHILLY’S PHUNNIEST ROUND 1 CONT…
SUNDAY, JULY 18TH @ 7PM
HELIUM COMEDY CLUB | 2031 SANSOM ST
For those readers who may not be aware, local comedian DOOGIE HORNER has been making his way through the ranks of this season’s Americas Got Talent.
Doogie is a familiar site here locally, where in addition to performing standup all over, he’s run the MINISTRY OF SECRET JOKES and is a regular panelist on THE BULLY PULPIT. He’s also made a name for himself creating hilarious flowcharts.
Doogie made his first appearance on AGT a few weeks back, and faced down a very hostile crowd. He won the hearts of Howie and Sharon, and they put him through to Vegas.
For the last few weeks, we’ve been excited to see him during Vegas week. First to see if he got through, but also just to get to see him actually tell a few jokes. Well, we’ hit Vegas week… so what happened?
Doogie’s going to Hollywood!
Congratulations Doogie, we look forward to seeing more of you on AGT and beyond!
In commemoration of the 1999 docking of Shuttle Discovery with the International Space Station, the PHILADELPHIA JOKE INITIATIVE presents 11 Years of Space Docking. The evening will feature a veritable laundry list of comedy acts, hosted by CAMP WOODS, who will be performing their new sketch show, Equus Rex.
In addition to Camp Woods, head on down to CONNIE’S RIC RAC Saturday night for improv from NYC’s CHESTER, sketches from SECRET PANTS & BARE HUG and standup from BRENDAN KENNEDY & DOOGIE HORNER.
PJI & CAMP WOODS PRESENT: 11 YEARS OF SPACE DOCKING
SATURDAY, MAY 29TH @ 8PM
CONNIE’S RIC RAC | 1132 S NINTH ST
$10 | BYOB w/ ID
Tonight the PHILADELPHIA JOKE INITIATIVE presents Open Mic Sandwich, hosted by Tommy Highland.
This month, check out an hour long open mic sandwiched between full sets from Gregg Gethard and Doogie Horner. Signup begins at 8PM, the fun at 8:30 and there’s no cover!
Mmmmm... delicious comedy
PJI’s OPEN MIC SANDWICH
WED, APR 28TH @ 8PM
FERGIES PUB | 1214 SANSOM ST
There’s a lot going on this weekend for comedy fans… check it out:
- The 2009 PHILLY SKETCHFEST continues through the weekend at Plays & Players Theater
- RARE BIRD SHOW, FLETCHER and LEO CALLAHAN anchor PHIT’s Shubin shows, with appearances by EVERYTHING MUST GO tonight and ANGRY PEOPLE BUILDING THINGS Saturday
- Celebrate the Bachelor Party Edition of the MINISTRY OF SECRET JOKES as host DOOGIE HORNER celebrates his final nights of singledom 8PM tonight at Fergies Pub.
- Bucks County Community College features EXPONENTIAL JOURNEY – improv directed by Bill McLaughlin this Friday and Saturday at 7PM in the BCCC Library
- Shortform improv by THE N CROWD rolls out 8PM tonight at the Actor’s Center
- Get your game on with a COMEDYSPORTZ double header Saturday 7:30 & 10PM at the Playground @ the Adrienne
- Scratch your standup itch with LOUIS RAMEY of NBC’s Last Comic Standing headling at Helium through Saturday.