HELIUM COMEDY CLUB has opened registration for Philadelphia’s largest comedy competition. For two weeks in late July / early August, 150 comics will compete for the title of PHILLY’S PHUNNIEST PERSON and a $1,000 grand prize. You may remember that last year the title went to local comedian Kent Haines.
Here’s a quick overview as provided by Helium:
- Contestants must be from Philadelphia or the surrounding area.
- You must perform 4:30 – 6 minutes during the preliminary rounds.
- Material must be original. If it is not, you will be disqualified.
- Registration will conclude July 1, 2009 or when we have reached 150 contestants.
- The preliminary rounds will take place July 28 – July 30, Aug 1 and Aug 4 – Aug 6, with Aug 7 being the semi-finals and Aug 8 the finals (dates subjects to change).
- Due to the number of no-shows last year, we have been forced to increase the registration fee and take payment at registration. Registration fee is $20 per person. This registration fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. The night of your preliminary round, you will receive a $15 Helium Comedy Club gift certificate at the conclusion of your performance.
- Comics for each show will be picked at random and judges along with audience votes will decide who advances.
Comics can register at Helium’s website